Tuesday, June 29, 2010

At Last

If you didn't already know I'm a big supporter of the LBGT community. I've skipped work to hit up parades, been yelled at by anti-gay protesters and even dreamed of being a dyke on a bike! I'd like to credit my parents for teaching me the values and the necessity of civil rights. Instilling in me the notion that people regardless of their sexuality are people and should be treated as such! I think it's extremely sad that in certain states gays can't marry. It heralds us back to the day when it was illegal to marry someone of a different skin color! I hear all the conservative feedback about how it breaks down society and family values yadda yadda yadda! I see it as love. So there's two cocks standing at the alter? So what? They're standing there for the same reason I stood next to a cock at the alter. BECAUSE OF LOVE! I truly believe that that notion is lost on many of the anti-gay marriage folks, many of whom take for granted they can rush out and get married willy nilly!

Now this story came to my attention via queerty.com and it touched my soul. For one they longevity of the relationship, which by the way is amazing in itself, and secondly they were gay in a time that is wasn't as acceptable as it is now. Anyone who objects to gay marriage needs to feast their eyes on the Declaration of Independence but with July 4th is looming its BBQ'd and M-80's head around the corner I'll throw this in, you know in the spirit of things.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness


So if your happiness is getting married and having 2.5 kids then pursue it! Want to stay single and surround yourself with cats? Pursue it! For these gentlemen they finally were granted the right to pursue their own happiness by getting married, 60 years after they met. The cynic in me did let out an "Aw" or two watching this.


2 comments:

af said...

That really is a great story. I like the dynamic between those two; they really seem to care for eachother and love one another. Hopefully this is one in a longline of succesful gay marriages

-89x (af)

Ms. Sugar said...

Me too! It gave me hope that anyone gay or straight can find love to last a lifetime!

Post a Comment

 

Revolting... Design by Insight © 2009