Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name....

I've known since this blog's incepetion that I would end up touching on this somewhat sensitive subject. I just haven't figured out how to package it for you to read. I'm stumped and I hardly ever it get stumped! So enough hemmin' & hawin', I'll get right to it.

I'm fat & proud!

I'm not thick, round, chubby, fluffy, stout, plump, chunky, husky, rubenesque, zaftig, squishy, puffy or a BBW! Yes, in some circles and by some people's standards I could be any one (or two) of those aforementioned words but that's not what I like to call myself. I really don't like being called a BBW. For y'all out of the loop folks it stands for Big Beautiful Woman. I'm totally not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I mean come on there is the word beautiful in there! BBW just feels frumpy, bulky & old maid-ish! Can't you call me a Foxy Fat Female or better yet just call me a hot chick? Honestly I'm perfectly fine with being called fat in fact I embrace it! I embrace it because I'm finally happy with myself, that my insides are as wonderful as my outsides. Sure I wish my booty meat was bigger and my feet weren't so wide but that wouldn't do a damn thing to change my personality. Yes, it would make shoe shopping easier but hey, I like a challenge!

I understand that not every fat girl wants to or feels comfy with being called fat and that's ok! Personally 10 years ago I would have cringed at trying to define my body but that was the brainwashed Ms. Sugar! But now I like to own up to what my body is and what limitations it has, these limitations just keep me out of certain brands they don't keep me from looking fly! Let it be know that this *points to self* doesn't stop me from doing a damn thing, this *points to brain* however does! So if I think, "I can't do that cuz I'm fat" or "I shouldn't wear that it makes me look big", for one thing I'm lying to myself & unless I don a burqa at midnight I'm always going to look BIG! There is a fine (or should I say fat?) line that I walk where I want to be a member of fattie society to say, "Make some space for me!" but I don't want it to define me, I don't want it to be the only thing you see when you look at me. Am I sounding too broken record-y yet? All I know today is that my fat is a part of me whether you (mainstream society/media/fashion designers) like it or not. Never again will I be shamed into thinking I'm ugly because of my fat! It's mine and I have to look at it and dress it everyday so why shouldn't I love it?

3 comments:

af said...

Thats a hard lesson for some people to learn... Alot of people seem to go their entire lives without finding self love and inner peace. So many problems would be solved if people liked themselves more: drug addiction, race wars, etc.

I dont buy into that whole "BBW", "fat and sassy" thing. i think its a defense mechanism for alot of people and oftentimes is pretty obvious to the common observer

Health is what is most important: if you're out of breath and can't walk up 10 steps then you might need to lose weight, but freaking out over a few extra pounds doesn't do any good.

Rogue Erotica said...

What an absolutely inspiring and empowered post! Love it.

Ms. Sugar said...

@AF yeah I'm all about getting healthy now! I don't want to be skinny I want to be happy and free from things like diabetes & heart disease! I won't know how much I've lost this month but I had only 30 more pounds to loose!

@Rogue Thank you! Stick around they will be more I promise!

Post a Comment

 

Revolting... Design by Insight © 2009